Thursday 27 December 2012

A Letter to Sam



As Cardiff City sit proudly at the top of the Championship, it seems an appropriate time to share one of my dad's letters to the club he loved all his life. Back in 2004, Sam Hamman wasn't such a divisive figure amongst the support. And in fairness to Sam, he did ring back, once speaking to my bewildered brother and once having a long discussion about life and tactics with my old man. He never did deliver the requested commentary, though.



8 August 2004

Sam Hamman
Chairman
Cardiff City Football Club
Sloper Road
Grangetown
CARDIFF  


Dear Sam

My Membership No 69330


I hope I find you fit and well, and bracing yourself for the ups and downs of another football season.  So, here’s wishing all our fans a happy new season.

My first match at Ninian was aged 13.  I shall be 48 next month.  The last match I ever saw was Cardiff 0 West Ham 0 to avoid relegation.  The last match report I ever read was Luton 2 Cardiff 3.  The reason is because I was blinded in a car crash in 1981, just after my 25th birthday.  However, this hasn’t stopped me coming to Ninian, and I even have a season ticket in the disabled enclosure.

I also remember another last match, many years ago, when Wimbledon sent us down, while they gained promotion to the top division.  And, today, Wimbledon FC no longer exist!  Strangely enough, at the last match of last season, a steward asked me to leave because I tapped my white cane against the corner flag at the end.  It was Wimbledon’s last match!

Usually friends, neighbours and radios are my commentators during City matches.  In fact anything or anyone will do so long as I can discover what is happening, good or bad.  Like any devoted fan, I am a fool for my club.  I’ve worn my radio ear-plug during christenings, weddings and school governor meetings to mention but a few times my attention should have been elsewhere.

Ok, Sam.  I am offering you the chance to be my commentator for one match.  Any City match at all.  We could sit in my low little corner, but perhaps it would be better to sit a little more central.  I guarantee you that I hardly utter a syllable during the match.  You could guide me to my seat and my friends would pick me up after the match.  I think that as club chairman, you should take a turn in helping me.  I want no hospitality, no money for I’ve already paid my ticket, I just want to see your heart.

Nobody else will do, Sam.  I would love to sit with you for just one match, for you to play the John Motson role and be my eyes to describe what is happening on the pitch.  It’s a new challenge for you.  How many club chairmen get such an opportunity; to get into the heart of the fans?

Born in Corfu, Greece, raised in Splott, Cardiff, I am the Greek Leek!  Nowadays, I teach other blind people to use computers at the Cardiff Institute for the Blind where I work full time.  Phone 20######.  Call me if you ever get a moment.

Break a leg!

Spiro

1 comment:

  1. There will be further letters to CCFC in the near future, amongst which he offers tactics advice that is seemingly taken!

    ReplyDelete