Monday 26 August 2013

Oscar (for his Christening)

A poem about Oscar, now, that my dad wrote and I read out at St Joseph's Social Club on the 15th July 2012, the day after his first birthday. Gratuitous Dino-cake picture included...


Oscar

(for his Christening)


I was out for a pint one Thursday night
Saint Swithin’s Day not far from sight
If it rains on Saint Swithin’s’, claims the phrase,
It’ll rain forty nights and forty days!’

But midnight had no time at all to fall
As I passed up a pint for a telephone call
The news from the Heaven’s is brighter than bright
It’s not rain, but your grandchild is coming tonight.

I skipped up, then tripped up all over the floor
For, I’ve never had my own grandchild before
My grandchild is born, plump, bright eyed and pink
This calls for a drink, and another I think

Is it a boy or a girlie so frilly?’
He’s showing his willy, so don’t be so silly’
And say, does he have my eyes and my hair?’
Oh yes, he cant see and his comb’s going spare’

A joy to his mother, a boy to his dad
Reflecting in flesh what fine frolics they had
His skin is fluorescent and smoother than silk
His lips turn to kisses when suckling his milk

He grows nails and scratches, he grows teeth to bite
And giggles when filling his nappy each night
He scatters his toys all over the carpet
And his quick sticky fingers, make patterns and mark it.

But he eats like a piglet, drops food on the floor
And makes the old ladies adore and say ‘Orrrrr!’
He piddles his trousers and stains his new suit
And we think this behaviour remarkably cute?!

He crawls over floors to his latest adventures
And is terribly good at digging out dentures
He crawls to my knees so I give him a hug
But his fists grab my clothes like a Hollywood thug

He’s a darling, an angel, a joy to behold
And like every baby, more precious than gold
A baby means life, and life should be happy
Forgetting the business of changing a nappy

An innocent baby has given us reason
To come and celebrate the season
When people join in love and laughter
To wish him ‘Happy ever after’

We pray God in Heaven to love our Oscar
And may Oscar be true to our ‘Pater Noster’
So, pour out the cup of jubilation
And make Oscar’s party a sensation!

Yet, I need to remind you of Swithin the Sainted
Whose forecast of weather is awfully tainted
For to celebrate babies born on his eve,
We’ll need forty nights booze, and forty days leave!



11 July 2012

Poem read out by Pete at Oscar’s Christening on Sunday, 15th, on my mate Eric’s birthday
The 14th is Oscar’s FIRST birthday
And the 16th is the twins’ birthdays, Nick & Alexia who will be 16.
Also on the 16th, one of my twin cousins, Spiro will be getting married to Solin from Malaysia, so brother Nick will have to follow suit!
Ha

No comments:

Post a Comment