Saturday 29 June 2013

29th Anniversary

My parents got married on 1st June, 1980. My dad used to write an anniversary poem every year. Here's one from 2009. The reference to the "Gift From Ninian park" was a Cardiff City FC lightshade and lamp. My mum was thrilled, as you can imagine.


29th Anniversary

To my darling Teresa - on our wedding anniversary


29 years of married bliss
What more fanciful than this
To go shopping just for you
For something novel, something new

You take the blindness from my eyes
And light them up like summer skies
To prove you lift me from the dark
Accept this gift from Ninian Park

The dazzle that a dawning brings
Is in the soaring bluebird’s wings
And so the city’s bluebird stamp
Is on your brand new table lamp

This present that you’ll thank me for
Persuades my giving heart towards more
The perfect match is made and played
With a bluebird on your ceiling shade!

And as I am your biggest fan
I love you more than Myles loves Ran
I love you more than Tone loves Rache
And even more than P loves H

And the best part of getting older
We can add up all the years together
We’re not mere pups or tiny tots
What they’ve just nibbled, we’ve had lots!!!

From Spiro
Your darling husband


X X X

No comments:

Post a Comment