Monday 28 January 2013

A Letter to Sam Part 2


This is the second letter my dad sent to Sam Hammam following this cheeky request to provide live commentary at a match. After Sam had rung up a couple of times, my old man was obviously of the opinion that a relationship had built up with the Cardiff City Chairman. And what else can you do but offer advice on tactics when results aren't going your way.

None of us expected the advice to actually be followed though...



6 October 2004 

Sam Hamman
Chairman
Cardiff City Football Club
Sloper Road
Grangetown
CARDIFF   


Dear Sam


My Membership No 69330



I hope I find you fit and well, if a little concerned about our league position.  That’s the trouble with City fans, we worry, worry, worry… and then turn into perfect optimists.

Thank you for ringing my home last month in response to my first letter.  You spoke to my son, Tony.  I was in work at the Cardiff Institute for the Blind in Newport Road where I teach blind people to use computers.  You would be welcome to come and see the way that visually impaired people learn to use computers.  My work number is 20######.

Now, why am I writing?  I shall tell you.  We are in difficulty!  We have not scored a goal at home for 5 matches!!!  Do we have a forward that can genuinely hold the ball, and turn and take on defenders, and beat defenders, and deceive defenders, and get past the defence?  Do we have a forward who is capable of dribbling through the opposition with guile and style, and blasting a shot goalward?  

Who is fast enough?  Which player is skilful enough?  which City player has the potential to slice through a defence?  Just like Blake at Burnley, or the pair at Wigan, or the front line at Ipswich!

And…

What would Professor Wenger have done at Arsenal if he had a shortcoming in that area?  I’ll tell you what he would have done!  He would have moved one of his most skilful wingers into the centre forward position.  Just like little Henry.

Sometimes it takes a blind man to see the missing bit of the jig-saw!  Parry!  Yes, Parry can play in the middle.

We have two great wingers.  Both match winners!  We can spare one to play in the spearhead of the team.  Yes!  I have listened to City matches minute after minute, hour after hour, week after week, year in, year out!  And everything at the moment sounds solid except for the front middle.  Our centre forwards should be able to hold the ball for more that 2 seconds!

Campbell could go on the wing till he regains his confidence.

No I’m not a crazy blind man!  Just a mad one!  Parry can play with Lee or Thorny in the middle.

Hope you can sort out the sense in my postulations.

Keep happy and healthy!

Yours sincerely

Spiro Sueref

PS What a date it is today!!  
I was blinded in a car crash on 6 October 1981.  Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment